Monday, April 20, 2009

To beet the band

It was a sun-saturated weekend where the spinach, beetroot and rhubarb took pride of place. 
First up was beetroot. There's nothing like homemade boiled up beetroot with ham and mash, yum and did you know it can also be used for making wine, pasta and crisps, now that is good credentials. 
I set aside a bed with no manure dug in a few weeks back as it can cause roots to rot in some vegetables, beetroot being an example. 
Beetroot should not be sowed until the last frost and the sunshine over the last couple of days was ideal. I sowed three rows, one inch deep and three inches apart. The soil needs to remain damp until the seeds have germinated, in fact it could be fatal. It being Ireland they should be well watered alright!
Next up was Popeye's favourite. I started the spinach seeds indoors a few weeks back and they germinated quickly, not a bother at all. I transplanted them out last Saturday in three rows about six inches apart. I'm told as the weather warms, the spinach plants will bolt more quickly and I've been warned then need to be water regularly. 
Then it was rhubarb's turn. Jenny Young supplied the organic crowns/buds from here garden here in Castlefarm. To support quick spring growth, soil high in organic matter is vital and the well-rotten manure at Castlefarm is the best organic fertiliser going and we were sure to work plenty of this in weeks ago. 
Before planting I dug a hole a little bit wider than the crow, the depth was where the top of the plant was just below the soil surface and I spaced each about 10 inches apart. 
What I am unsure of, is rhubarb a fruit, vegetable or plant? An ornamental plant where the veg is prepared and eaten like fruit perhaps, it's still delicious not matter the title!