Sunday, April 5, 2009

Tilling to the bitter end

The spring sunshine marked a brilliant productive week, not only for the allotment but also for my suntan. There was lots of sunshine, lots of tilling and lots of planting. 
The tilling was endless. We tilled to the bitter end to get our soil like powder. This clearing the ground has been ongoing for weeks and it's not joke. It's strenuous work, but we got there in the end, with a couple of casualties, blisters on my hands and the raised beds are no longer straight. A little bit crooked in some places, a bit like a winding staircase, but I'm told vegetables can grow in any nook and canny. 
Then I hear about a battery-operated rotavator doing the rounds at the allotment. It's possibly the "best invention ever" my neighbour tells me. I don't doubt it. I've seen it's success on other plots and whoever invented such a thing is a genius. So tip of the year, hire a rotavator, it will save you weeks of backache and pain. Too late for us, but it's already on my Christmas wish list.