Sunday, March 1, 2009

Going potty


My seeds arrived, hurrah! I ordered them from The Organic Centre in Leitrim (www.theorganicentre.ie) and it took less than a week. The grand total was €114 for more than 30 packets - everything from broadbeans to swiss chard, with a bit of cabbage, turnip, carrots and pumpkins in between. So it's time to stop planning and start potting. 
As a newcomer to growing vegetables, I was amused to see how different seeds can be: onions, small and sliver; broadbeans, big and brown. Some were almost too small to see. 
The more thrifty gardener can use empty recyclable milk and yogurt pots or egg cartons. I opted for the shop-bought variety, five seeds for €5, each tray takes 40 seeds. 
I filled the seed trays with damp compost (Shamrock Organic Gold) and gently firmed it down. I placed one seed into each pot and covered it with a light layer of compost. 
The aim is to successfully germinate the seeds and for that you need moisture, air and the right temperature over a period of two to three weeks. 
Seeds I potted were kale, lettuce, broadbeans, dwarf french beans, runner beans, leeks, peas, onions, rosemary and a whole lot of thyme. On my schedule for the coming weeks is cabbage, chicory and spinach. 
I loosely covered the trays with cling film to keep the moisture and heat in. It is important to keep the compost moist; I got carried away though and may have drowned my leeks and onions as there is no sign of any germination taking place, so careful not to over water. As it is I'll be starting over with my leeks and onions. 
The peas and beans have thrived, with the prize specimen already reaching nine inches; my girlfriends are impressed!
For the moment, my kitchen has been invaded by seed trays, taking over all available counter space and window sills. Just a couple more weeks and they'll be out of the house and into the ground, only to return as fully grown and edible vegetables (hopefully). 
What's up next, shoveling shit - digging deep with muck and manure!